Mobile Search: A search for product, service or other information conducted on a mobile device such as a smartphone, tablet or touch pad.
Google & Nielsen team up to conduct a study on the growth of mobile searching. “As consumers increasingly turn to their mobile phones, it is critical for businesses to understand the range of “mobile conversions” that can occur, such as phone calls, store visits, or purchases on other devices.” Some of the report’s important findings are listed below. The entire report can be seen by clicking here.
Two reasons why your business must have a mobile responsive website:
1. Because so many people are trying to look at your website on a smartphone. This means you if you want people to see your website, it has to be mobile responsive.
2. Google now places a premium on websites that are mobile responsive over those that are not when it comes to ranking for searches. Mobile responsive websites will outrank those that are not.
Summary of findings:
- 77% of mobile searches occur at home or at work. Most mobile searches happen even when there is a computer available, meaning speed and convenience become important factors to consider.
- 3 of 4 mobile searches trigger follow-up actions, whether it be further research, a store visit, a phone call, a purchase or word-of-mouth sharing. On average, each mobile search triggers nearly 2 follow-up actions. This is one reason why we are so big on call to action feature on your mobile responsive website.
- 55% of these follow-up actions (conversions) happen within 1 hour of the mobile search.
- 65% of users noticed ads during the study.